Friday, January 25, 2013

Natural Wreaths



Natural Wreaths

One of the most satisfying  projects for me is an all natural wreath.  What could be more simple, low cost, and beautiful than making your own wreath from the materials in nature.



 

My favorite medium for a wreath is the grapevine.  Since I live in a rural area, I have easy access to natural grapevine.  I find it growing along our fence rows, in the ditch behind our mailbox, and even creeping up the back of the house.  It's everywhere.  


If you live in the city, but take walks in the forest or on natural trails, you will find grapevine.  Look for vines running up trees and into bushes.  They tend to take over the host plant with their curly q's grabbing every twig in their path. 












The grapevine is easy to spot.  It has five leaves in a fairly well spread out distance between clusters.  When you are looking for your vine, be sure that you have not confused it with poison ivy (which tends to grow in the same areas and often mingles with the grape vine).  If you see any sign of a three leaf vine in and around the grapevine, leave and find your grapevine elsewhere.  It is not worth it to try to pull grapevine if there is even the slightest chance you might be exposed to the ivy vine.


I like to pull the young vines that are thin, and can be traced right down to their roots in the ground.  Often they are well spread over the limbs and bushes, but because they are young, they are flexible and easy to pull out.  Carry a pair of heavy duty scissors or pruners with you.  It makes it so much easier to cut.   As I pull, I wind.  It makes it so much easier to wind and shape as you go.  The vines have not dried out at this point and will bend and shape into your ideal size if you wind them on the spot.


I also look for natural objects to incorporate into my wreath.  Acorns, pine cones, dried weeds (or ones that can be dried) like Queen Anne's Lace and milkweed pods, are just a few of the many natural wonders you can find to adorn your wreath. 










If you look at the pill bottle organizer, (Jan. 24th post) you will see one of the flowers made from Money plant. They make wonderful wreath fillers.  I also use my little gourds (spinners that look like mini bottle gourds are very cute) to decorate the wreaths.  The bread dough roses, pussy willows, gourd buttons & seeds,  just about any of nature's abundance gives beauty to your wreath.  I even use feathers and horse hair to embellish my wreaths.  But I think my favorite filler is the green snowball bush flower.  If I pick it before it has the chance to turn white, it will dry and keep its green color.  It is thick, intricate in each tiny little green floret, and it lasts. 


Simply use your creativity to fashion the wreath that fits your style, personality, and special occasion. 









Assemble your wreath using hot glue to arrange whatever embellishment you choose for your wreaths.  Have fun creating your own special wreath today.

No comments:

Post a Comment