Thursday, January 24, 2013

Pill Bottle Organizer


When you take a lot of prescription medication as I must with a heart condition, one acquires an overwhelming abundance of empty pill bottles.  What to do with them has been my constant dilemma.  I can never throw anything away.  Besides storing seeds, I haven't developed a craft venue for these viles, until now. I had been trying to glue the pill bottles together to make a little organizer for desk & sewing supplies, but couldn't get past the large lip on the bottle.   At Christmas I made marshmallow shooters (tutorial to come) from pvc pipe and had several pieces left.  When I grabbed one of the pvc pieces I suddenly knew how I could make the pill bottle organizer work.  Using the pipe fitting as the center, the pill bottles would easily circle the fitting and create a cute organizer.   

Making Your Organizer


Supplies:
3"-5" high pvc pipe fitting

5 pill bottles

duel epoxy glue

tooth pick, or stir stick

disposable plastic bowl or bottle cap for mixing the epoxy

ribbon


Choose five pill bottles and remove the tops and labels.  You can use bottles that are all the same height, or you can graduate them from short to tall and create a spiral effect.  My bottles come in two heights so I chose to do a same height organizer as the spiral really doesn't work with only two sizes.
 






Arrange the bottles around the pipe fitting making sure they touch the fitting.  They should also touch at the  bottle lip, and will touch each other for the most part.  I did find that they didn't always touch each other well, but as long as the pvc touches, you will be able to make it work.
 






Follow the directions for mixing the duel epoxy.  Quickly adhere the glue to the pvc and press the bottles into the glue on the pvc.  It will set up quickly so be sure to make any adjustments to your arrangement right away.  Once I have the glue in place and the bottles secure, I take a rubber band and wrap it around the outside to hold everything in place.  Keep them held together for at least 12 hours.  






 















Remove the rubber band and replace it with a ribbon.  You can also tie a bow, decorate with fabric scraps, or just leave it plain.  The organizer will look like a flower if you mount it on the wall.  I use mine upright on the surface closest to me.  Every paint brush, pencil, loose items in general now have a home and save me endless minutes searching for where I last laid them down.  I love my organizer!


**That being said, I still would love to find some more ideas for these bottles.  I would like to put a challenge up to all of you to bring some ideas to the fold.  Please comment with your ideas and any link you might have to show off what you do with these bottles.


  Many of my finished products are available free on Listia.


Auctions for free stuff at Listia.com

No comments:

Post a Comment