Friday, February 1, 2013

Metal Stamped Jewelry

Today I found a craft I absolutely love.  It is the stamping of letters into metal objects.  When my daughter was married, her theme was live, laugh, love.  Oh how I wish I had this craft knowledge at that time.  She had asked me to make all of the jewelry for her bridesmaids and herself out of my gourds (tutorial to come).  Making the tiny flowers from gourd shards and seeds was easy, but painting on the live, laugh, love gave me fits.  I have never had good penmanship.  No matter how hard I tried, the words always looked flawed to me.  The jewelry turned out adorable, despite my penmanship shortcomings.  I had visions of making table embellishments with the words as well, but couldn't make them meet my need for perfect lettering, so I didn't even approach my daughter with the idea.  Now, I have found the metal stamping kit, and I know I could have used it to create the table centerpieces that would have carried her theme into the reception.

I found the cutest candle that would have been perfect with her theme.  This one came from Pinterest, and I no longer have the name of the person who posted, but I want to give them credit.  This idea is just the kind of project that I can do.  I use metal washers as backs for many of my gourd necklaces so I have plenty on hand.  Aren't they adorable?  Adding jute to hold them to the candles makes them so "country".  But what I really like is the ability to stamp words onto the washers.  This one has the live, laugh, love theme.  I can see doing this in eat, pray, love, or putting faith based words like "the fruit of the Spirit. If I did this one I would make a centerpiece of three of these candles and stamp one word on each washer.

Taking this simple design, I added names to my Valentine's Day gifts for my granddaughters.  The stamped washer was easily attached to the end of the paper beaded necklace (tutorial in the archives on the right side of the blog) I made for one of the girls.  It was so cute.

Then I worked on one of the candles for myself.  Again, it turned out so well.

To make these stamped washers you will need a metal stamping set.  I searched the hardware stores in my area and found none available, so I went to my faithful Amazon.  I learned early on that I could actually get things I needed here and spend quite a bit less than shopping in my local area.  Because I live in a rural area, it takes about 20 minutes to drive anywhere to find my materials.  For me the cost of gas is far more than any shipping I might have to pay, and the products are at my door in as little as two days.  I have listed two products (links on the top right) that would be perfect if you are interested in trying this craft.  One is the metal alphabet punch stamp set, and the other is a nice idea book.  Check them out.  As I make more items I will post the pictures.

Making your stamped washer

supplies:

various sizes of washers
sand paper (optional)
anvil or metal/concrete base
hammer
metal alphabet stamp set
permanent markers
jute or other stringing material

Step 1.  Laying your washer on top of your anvil, position your first letter,
Step 2. Strike the letter with your hammer. (I do this about 10-15 times while holding the punch steady.)
Step 3. Position your next letter and repeat this process until all letters have been imprinted.
Step 4. (Optional) use the sand paper to created a distressed pattern on the washer.
Step 5. If you want color, trace the imprinted letters with the marker.
Step 6. Attach your cord in whatever fashion you choose.

That's it!  It's quick and easy.  Enjoy!


Share your stories. Email your fond memory or story to admin@explorecreatecraft Please put "story" in the subject line.  If you have a particular page you would like your story posted, please put that in your message along with the story.

And when you just don't have the words to express in times of sorrow, turn to this book for just the right words to say.
Click Here!





One of my favorite memories has been running a roadside stand.  It was here that I met a beautiful lady who will always have a place in my heart.

My love of God has brought me through an abundance of pain and conflict.  He has brought me to His truth in a ministry of love.  We strive to live what God has set before us and in that life, provided
ministers who teach accurate information, and access to resources like online classes and Sunday teachings at Living Hope International Ministries .  In God I found my way when the world said I couldn't, and brought people into my life that always brought me back to God's wonderful Word.  The story below reflects just one small part of a life centered in God's Love.  Enjoy.



An acre of Love and Laughter

It wasn't easy making ends meet in the 90's.  I had quit my job teaching in order to raise our children and the farm.  Everything was falling into place.  I could grow my gourds for crafting, farm the land side by side with my better half, and be the best stay at home Mom in the world.
We'd rise early to ready the tractor for the day ahead.  Engines were running long before my senses.  I emerged groggy eyed and exhausted from sleepless nights, as one by one each of the five children would wake crying out from troubled dreams, or restless tummies. A soft rub on the cheek, a soothing melody sung in quiet whispers,  would drift them back to sleep.  I'd spend the remainder of my night in broken dreams intertwined with gourds and fallowed fields needing as much attention as the children.
The garden blossomed with the fields.  The corn grew strong and tall as did the gourds.   

But a silent mind conjures false realities. 

A bumper crop was growing.  We might be able to pay off the farm. 

The gourds grew large, still green, but promising.  A good kettle gourd could shape itself into a beautiful lamp, or a basket deeply woven into shapes and forms that translated our life.  Either would bring a great price at local craft shows. 

But our mind's reality falsely paid the price of extravagant dreams.   

An early September frost invaded the fields cutting short the corn, killing the gourd long before its time.
Without the crop, our pockets stretched until frayed patches of fabric dressed the children, and milk became a luxury.  Dipping into our reserves, we survived on an acre of love and laughter.   

Winter came and went ushering in a Spring of new hope. Day by day I watched the children decorate the garden with laughter.  A wiggly red worm brought giggles and grins. The tomato hornworm amazed their senses.  The joy of this simple life defined our family.  We thanked our God as plants grew strong and new hope grew with them.   
The beans and potatoes fed our appetites; the gourds, our spirits.  We crafted birdhouses and set them out to dry by our roadside vegetable stand. 

Customers came in hurried minds, quick to grab a handful of nature after busy days confined to cubicles and windowless rooms.  They loved the fresh produce and adored the gourds crafted by tender fingers.

She came alone, this angel sent from God.  She asked for beans and peppers, green from sun kissed days.  And she eyed the birdhouse gourd painted by tender toddler hands.  She kneeled before the child whose hands finger painted her heart upon the gourd.  "Did you help your Mommy plant this gourd?  It is a beauty fit for a royal bird." 

My daughter nodded in silent pride as this angel paid for the little birdhouse gourd.  "But this is too much," I protested.  

She winked and placed an extra quarter into the palm of the child when she thought I wasn't looking.  As she left she spoke to the child. "You help your Mommy now, you help her paint the  gourds."

I looked at my child as she beamed in delight. 
A crafter had been born that day.
 






No comments:

Post a Comment